[texbirds] Tropical Mockingbird update

  • From: steve mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBirds posts <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 20:13:03 +0000

TEXBirders, John Haynes and I went to Sabine Woods on Saturday morning to check
out the birds and donate a few pints of blood to the local mosquitos.  Located
the Tropical Mockingbird in the usual area immediately east of the entrance.
The nest that the bird had been sitting on is still present but seems to be
abandoned.  No sign of disturbance but there does not appear to be anything
happening there -- don't know if this was a predation event or if the
Tropical/Northern Mockingbird pairing was just unable to produce viable eggs.
Either way, the bird was still easy to find.  Not a whole lot else happening
there, the Golden-fronted Woodpecker(s) were a no show, though we did hear a
Melanerpes woodpecker at one point so I expect that they are still around.
There was a Starling occupying one of the holes in the snag behind the drip
pond so that's not a good sign.  As you might expect at this point, we had no
migrants but the summering (presumably nesting) Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Brown
Thrashers and Great Crested Flycatchers were cooperative.  Also in the area, a
lingering American Avocet at Sea Rim and a lone Common Ground-Dove on the
roadside just west of Sabine Pass were nice to see. I'll continue the updates
on this bird for those who still hope to see it but haven't gotten down here
yet. Steve MayesPort Arthur, TX