[texbirds] Re: Tropical Mockingbird - missing back toe nail on right foot

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jay@xxxxxx'" <jay@xxxxxx>, Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 10:03:54 -0400

Jay -

Good thoughts, to which I will add in the obvious follow-up - the Tropical
Mockingbird arrival coincided with the appearance of the Black-whiskered  Vireo
at Sabine Woods.   I sincerely doubt that BWVI is a commonly-kept cage bird in
whatever region caged wildbirds are commonly kept (not overly pretty, not a
sweet singer), and have never heard anyone question the provenance of recent
BWVI sightings on TexBirds.

So, when we discuss the probability of such-and-such a bird *naturally*
occurring in a location, if another low-probability bird arrives at the same
place and same time, are the *coincidence factors* additive, do we multiply
them, or are they on some sort of a logarithmic scale?    Too bad the
Double-toothed Kite did not make another appearance this year.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>