[texbirds] Texbirds versus Facebook

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:51:04 -0500 (EST)

I'm confused about Texas birding information being posted to Facebook.  Martin
Reid mentioned in his recent Texbirds post that he had posted photos of the
three scoters at Mitchell Lake (Thanks to Martin for helping me see them) on
Facebook.  I went looking for them and came up with a "Texbirds.org" on
Facebook with few photos and 209 members.  My wife Honey helped me find another
"Tex Birds" on Facebook with 487 members and Martin's photos (which are much
better than mine).  The real Texbirds listserve has in excess of 2000 members,
many who are missing out on information being posted to Facebooks sites and not
to the Texbirds listserve.  I guess anyone can befriend one of the Texbirds
related Facebook sites and post any garbage they want (which they do).  This
seems like a poor way to communicate but would be a way to circumvent Texbirds