[texbirds] Swallow-tailed Kite - Williamson Co.

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 15:38:54 -0500

TexBirders,

I was birding the Comanche Bluff Trail along the S shore of the
Granger Lake and San Gabriel River when I encountered a Swallow-
tailed Kite this morning at 10 a.m.  I had the bird in view for about
3 to 4 minutes as it circled higher and off to the west, roughly
upstream over the San Gabriel.

The species is exceptionally rare in the Spring in the Austin
checklist area.

Other than that kite, migration birding was VERY slow in the
woodlands and on the lake.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX