[texbirds] Surface dipping + Texas 8 terns quiz

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 12:32:40 -0400 (EDT)

Right now I am working on putting together illustrations of all feeding
techniques used by eight species of terns found along Texas shore (no pelagic
species are included). Here is a first one - surface dipping. It is used by
all  eight species but most commonly by Gull-billed and Black (GBTE doesn't
 plunge-dive and BLTE is doing that very rarely; both species often pick up
prey  from the ground as well), often by Sandwich, Forster’s and Common,
sometimes by  LETE, Royal and Caspian.

Now lets see if we can easily ID all 8 species (in 10 photos combined into
one composite)

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/151126669/original

Now is a wonderful part of the year when one can find all these terns easy
when visiting places on UTC, with some luck, even in one spot.

These who send me an email with ID list I will notify if their IDs were
correct or not and in a few days I will exchange the uploaded photo (same
link)  with species names included in the photo.

So have fun with terns during the next visit to the coast; price to pay  -
getting a little sweat ...

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field