[texbirds] Summer Tanager question

  • From: Beth Duncan <Beth.Duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 00:34:39 +0000

I saw a female and immature male (head turning red, but rest of body still
yellowish) hanging out together in the top of the oaks at Devine Lake Park in
Williamson County today.  The male was singing and the female had what appeared
to be nesting material in her beak (lots of dried grass).  Were they just
flirting? Or could this be the beginning of something wonderful?  I thought by
definition "immature" meant not breeding yet.

Beth Duncan

Leander, TX