[texbirds] South Padre Island Carpodacus, Psycho-spizella, 4/4/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 21:32:49 -0400 (EDT)

Wow, what a crazy, beautiful, wonderful day at South Padre Island!  Birders may
have outnumbered the birds, but what the migrants lacked in quantity, they made
up for in quality.  Leading the way was the mysterious Carpodacus finch that
made its third appearance in as many days at the convention center.  I'm
guessing it's a Purple finch but there were lots of votes for Cassin's Finch.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/PurpleFinchIMG_7341_resize_zps3885f15a.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/PurpleFinchIMG_7163_resize_zpsac1d9f80.jpg

And then there was the psychadelic Spizella sparrow.  It really had people
confused.  It looks like it has gotten into some kind of pollen or sticky
substance.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/SpizellaIMG_6920_resize_zps2fe4431d.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/SpizellaIMG_6660_resize_zps9a097c37.jpg

The fifteen species of warblers I saw did not include the reported Virginia's
and Blackburnian Warblers.  I had to settle for mundane stuff like Swainson's,
Prothonotary, Worm-eting, Kentucky and Blue-winged warblers.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/SwainsonsWarblerIMG_6851_resize_zpsf0f98ee4.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Worm-eatingWarblerIMG_6653_resize_zps755f3b3a.jpg

South Padre Island, Cameron County, Cameron, US-TX
Apr 4, 2013 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
48 species