[texbirds] South Padre Island

  • From: Helen Rejzek <hmr78253@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:44:49 -0500

I agree with Dan Jones about the tireless effort made by Scarlet and George
Colley and Robin and Troy Zurovec to help the migrants who showed up on South
Padre Island.We arrived on Tuesday and on Wednesday the number of migrants were
staggering.It was amazing to watch birders and non birders alike realize what a
special event that was taking place on the island.When they arrived the
migrants were tired,hungry,and wet.Many of them were on the ground.Until
today,it had been raining,so not many insects,but definitely plenty of oranges
and seed.Today the sun made an appearance and finally there were insects,but
the real show was watching Scarlet,Robin,and Troy feeding the birds
mealworms.Birds that had been feeding on the ground for a couple of days,a
female Cerulean and a Prothonotary took their worms and flew up to the trees.It
was a welcomed sight.

Many of these birds still have a long journey but hopefully the care and
attention they were given on South Padre will help make the next leg of their
trip a little easier.

Helen Rejzek
San Antonio