[texbirds] Snowy Plovers and Least Tern at Bob Wentz Park, Lake Travis, Austin (Travis Co.) 7/27/13

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 14:36:42 -0700 (PDT)

Late this morning, Veena Mohan and I swung by Bob Wentz/Windy Point Park on
Lake Travis, Austin (Travis Co.).  Several great birds have shown up there over
the past month (most seemingly not even one-day wonders), all of which I have
missed (a day to a week late depending on when I heard the report and was able
to get out there).  Yet, I keep hitting the park in hopes that my luck will
change.  It did so this morning.  We had 3 Snowy Plover on the south most point
and a fly-by Least Tern, which seemed to be headed towards the dam.  A Spotted
Sandpiper and 10 Western Sandpiper were also present.

Yesterday morning, when I also visited Bob Wentz/Windy Point Park, I had 5
Least Flycatcher and 1 Alder/Willow Flycatcher.

This afternoon, Veena and I also hit Lake Creek Trail (Austin, Williamson Co.).
 Not too much to report, but we did have a single Least Flycatcher, and there
were 150 Purple Martin roosting on the lights at the ball fields.  No unusual
waders yet, but we did have 1 Great Blue Heron, 3 Great Egret, and 12 Snowy
Egret.  There were 14 Least Sandpiper in the creek as well.  The Bronzed
Cowbirds can also still be found in the vicinity of the ball fields.

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701
Email: rkost73@xxxxxxxxx or rkostecke@xxxxxxx