[texbirds] Shackelford Co....Another N. Shrike and Western Bluebirds

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 16:16:14 -0600

points/riparian stuff in far northern Shackelford Co. but barely, just
within a couple of miles of Throckmorten Co. most of the day.  We had two
big surprises today on the southern portion of what we traveled.   An adult
Northern Shrike (I know they are getting ho-hum :-) but this is approaching
Cen-Tex a bit.. but equally surprising were four Western Bluebirds as well
as a dozen or so Mountain Bluebirds in the canyon areas....Surprisingly we
did not see a single Loggerhead Shrike or an Eastern Bluebird...Also there
are zero raptors in this area with only a single kestrel seen in eight and
a half hours and a lot of ground covered. ....There were also 4 common
Mergansers with C. Goldeneyes on the Brazos "Krooked River" area.  I don't
know how unusual that is for here yet as I have not checked.  Erin drove
back to "town" for gas and to make some cell calls, but I will go out for a
bit later.  These properties are all private unless one wanst to buy into a
guided hunt which will cost you plenty.
BTW Erin is looking for someone in north Texas who is willing to allow
someone to fulfill her banding experience to achieve either the
sub-permittee, or master's level as a bander, in the event you have any
ideas.  She has experience on Ft. Hood and elsewhere.  I told her I would
ask.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist