[texbirds] San Jacinto SP Long-tailed Duck 1/17/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, salliesherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sarah.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx, Tracey.Prothro@xxxxxxxxxxx, Christina.butcher@xxxxxxxxxxx, MaryAlice.Trumble@xxxxxxxxxxx, Janell.Sellers@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 22:12:52 -0500 (EST)

We were just leaving the Baytown Nature Center doing the monthly bird count
 when we got a call from Ray Porter and he had the Long-tailed Duck in his
sights  so to speak. We went over the ferry and Ray very quickly put us on
it. I took a  few very far pictures and they are highly cropped but you can
at least see what  you are looking for if you haven't seen it. It stands out
quite a bit from the  Lesser Scaup since it is smaller and of course has a
lot more white on it. If  you look close you can see the short tail on it.

I have posted a few pictures here today that also include 3 hummingbird
pictures from here at the house, a few shots from the Baytown Nature Center
bird  count today and then the last two are of the Long-tailed Duck.

_http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBN
QB#!i=2324629791&k=KxJcTFX_
(http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQB#!i=2324629791&k=KxJcTFX)

Count numbers for the BNC count today will be coming later. Highlights were
 the first of season Harris's Sparrow, Lots of Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Ducks
and  Red-breasted Mergansers and the pictures I posted of one of the Ospreys
diving  into the water catching a mullet and surfacing and flying off.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers  County