[texbirds] Rufous Hummingbird - Kurten, Brazos Co. / Lapland Longspurs - Turf Farm, Burleson Co.

  • From: Shirley Wilkerson <shirley.wilkerson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brazosaudubon <brazosaudubon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 23:08:46 -0600

Dan and I went to the Horizon Turf Farm today to take a look around, and
the Lapland Longspurs have arrived, an Am. Pipit or two, and lots of Horned
Larks.    We also saw the Eagles everyone is reporting.  But before we left
home, I looked out at our sad looking hummingbird feeders, and thought a
leaf was lodged in the feeder.  I asked Dan, "Is that a leaf, or a
Rufous???"  As we walked closer, it was indeed a male in full breeding
plumage.  However, he did not move.  I am wondering if he was in torpor,
seemed early at 1:30 in the afternoon.  When we got back home, I cleaned up
two more feeders, and hung them next to him.  Oh how I wish he would have
moved to one of them, but he is "frozen" into place on the yucky feeder.
We got to within 2 inches of him, and he never moved, tail twitched a
little.  Will see his fate in the morning.
Here are a few photos from today:

Bald Eagles - 5 photos

http://www.bluemelon.com/caramia/birds-intaxanomicorder;jsessionid=5rAlqlu0A7aFDNX93o1zY1zi.undefined#photo-3306283/T800600

Rufous Hummingbird:  2 photos