[texbirds] Roy Guerrero River Park - Austin

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 13:59:27 -0500

This morning I birded Roy Guerrero River Park, making a loop from the parking
lot west of the headquarters and near the golf course to the upper beach and
back by way of the back trail along the river to the lower beach and back
around the trail by the road to the parking lot. I tallied 34 species for the
morning,  the highlights of which included the following:

Osprey hunting over the river
Crested Caracara (2) - I haven’t been seeing these at the park for quite some
time although they were regular during winter and spring last year.
Painted Bunting (1)
Summer Tanager (1)
Tennessee Warbler (1)
Magnolia Warbler (1)
Barn (2), Cliff (9), Cave (4) Swallows & Purple Martin (2)
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (3, 2 heard only in different areas and 1 seen in yet
another spot)
Inca Dove (2)
Little Blue Heron (2, 1 adult & 1 first spring plumage)
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2)
Western Kingbird (1)

Flycatchers and Kingbirds were surprisingly scarce. Also, I almost never go to
this park without at least hearing Red-shouldered Hawks, but not today.

Wind kicked up early, so spotting movement of small birds in trees was
difficult.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632