[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma SP - Saturday Bird Walk

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 12:24:46 -0500

An Altamira Oriole in the parking islands started us off with some great
views.  There are plenty of Great Kiskadees and Green Jays along the
resaca, but It took some time before we were rewarded with an active pair
of Green Kingfishers.  We finished the walk with a very nice White-tailed
Kite circling overhead.
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
956-350-2920

*Nature Hike *Friday:  9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Bird Walk* Saturday:  8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Butterfly Walk* Sunday:  1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m..
*Night Hike* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small fee
*Nature Tram Rides*:  Wednesday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues)
http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

 Mottled Duck  12
Blue-winged Teal  45
Least Grebe  5
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Neotropic Cormorant  1
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  6
Snowy Egret  10
Turkey Vulture  6
White-tailed Kite  1
Northern Harrier  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  5
American Coot  3
Sandhill Crane  X     heard overhead only
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Inca Dove  3
White-tipped Dove  1     heard only
White-winged Dove  5
Mourning Dove  2
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Green Kingfisher  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  3
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  4
Great Kiskadee  9
Couch's Kingbird  6
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  2
White-eyed Vireo  3
Green Jay  25
Black-crested Titmouse  1
House Wren  2
Carolina Wren  5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Long-billed Thrasher  4     shortly before walk started, Ebony Trail &
Visitor Center
Northern Mockingbird  3
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  2