[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma SP - Saturday Bird Walk

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 16:50:50 -0600

Best of the morning bird walk?  A young bobcat walking down the road in
front of us.  It sprinted a short distance, stopped, looked around, started
to sit, changed its mind...  When it crouched and started stalking
something off to the right we thought it would disappear from sight, but
instead it turned around, walked down the road a bit farther, then sprinted
out of sight.  Great Kiskadees and Northern Cardinals were cooperative,
showy and entertaining.  We were also able to see female, first year male
and adult male Common Yellowthroats from Kiskadee Deck.  Hunter's Lane
resaca has much more water than the resaca visible from the tram road, and
this is where we walked this morning.
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
956-350-2920

*Nature Walks *Friday:  9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Bird Walks* Saturday:  8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Butterfly Walks* Sunday:  1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
*Night Hikes* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small
fee
*Nature Tram Rides*:  Wednesday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues)
http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

 31 species (+1 other taxa)
Blue-winged Teal  26
Northern Shoveler  3
cormorant sp.  2
Snowy Egret  1
Turkey Vulture  10
Northern Harrier  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Inca Dove  10
Common Ground-Dove  1
White-tipped Dove  6
Belted Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  2
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  5
Great Kiskadee  8
White-eyed Vireo  3     only one seen
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Green Jay  36
Black-crested Titmouse  2
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  2     Ebony deck area
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Northern Mockingbird  2
Orange-crowned Warbler  5
Common Yellowthroat  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler  10
Olive Sparrow  4     2 feeder/garden, 2 Ebony boardwalk
Northern Cardinal  6
Great-tailed Grackle  3
Altamira Oriole  2     feeder area