[texbirds] Reeve Still Present, 5:25 p.m. 4/16

  • From: Steve Gross <sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:07:47 -0500

After work this afternoon, I made the drive to the Skillern Tract of Anahuac
NWR, my confidence bolstered by the TOSRBA post from David Sarkozi (thanks,
Dave).

It took almost two hours of poring over dowitchers, yellowlegs, and a goodly
number of handsome Stilt Sandpipers (always a favorite), but the Reeve
eventually showed herself and worked her way to within 50 yds. of my scope
position. A few other birders happened by while the bird was on the scope, so I
spread the joy a little.

The bird was in the same area as all of the recent sightings, along the
entrance road in the first wet pond.

From there, I went to the main refuge and enjoyed an evening chorus of at least
five Least Bitterns (though none were seen), four King Rails (one seen), and a
handful of whinnying Soras.

Not bad for a drizzly Tuesday.

Steve Gross
NW Houston