[texbirds] Re: RFI - Hill Country Chuck-wills-widow

  • From: Mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:52:43 -0500

Chucks are seemingly everywhere in the Sabinal Valley......  Last 8 years
I lived on a ridge a couple miles west of Utopia, had 6 nightly, in season,
now I live on the river corridor on valley floor, about the same number.
No Whips though.....  those lucky people eastward.....

When I used to camp at Maples, Chucks were regular there too.  Easy,
but calling window is narrow right at dusk/dark, but before black out,
twilight.  Later in season when nesting gets underway they'll keep you
up.

Couple Ringed Kingfisher interacting from the porch yesterday, Scarlet
Tanager in yard for four hours last Friday.  Still haven't seen an
Indigo Bunting or
Blue Grosbeak here yet this year.  Just a few Painted Bunnies so far.

Mitch Heindel
Utopia
www.utopianature.com/BIRDNEWS.html