[texbirds] Red Bluff Lake, Friday January 11th

  • From: "Willie Sekula" <williebird22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:55:05 -0600

Martin Reid, Sheridan Coffey and I birded Red Bluff Lake (~38 miles north of
Pecos) today.  We had a good day of birding with the highlight being an
immature Northern Shrike which was on the northern (no pun intended) of the
lake off County Road 453.  The bird was pretty flighty.  Martin and I had to
work to get some record photographs of the bird but we finally succeeded.
Other highlights included two Red-throated Loons and 1900 Common Mergansers.

Selected Bird List:
37 Snow Goose
25 Northern Shoveler
12 Northern Pintail
2 Greater Scaup
50 Bufflehead -- Probably a low estimate
100 Common Goldeneye -- Probably a low estimate
157 Hooded Merganser -- Large group at dam. Well seen
1900 Common Merganser -- Counted by both Martin Reid and Willie Sekula.
Massive rafts
100 Red-breasted Merganser
100 Ruddy Duck
2 Red-throated Loon -- Photographed
300 Double-crested Cormorant -- Low estimate
140 Bonaparte's Gull -- Feeding with mergansers and cormorants
40 Ring-billed Gull
10 Herring Gull -- Well seen
1 Northern Shrike -- Photographed. Young bird.
1 Say's Phoebe
25 American Pipit

Please note that Sandy Beach (other side of dam) was not accessible. The
gate was locked.

Willie Sekula
Falls City