[texbirds] RGV raptors, and an owl

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:20:08 -0800 (PST)

The winter of 2012-2013 has been a little scarce for Rio Grande Valley
rarities, but the abundance of raptors has more than made up for it.

I made some birding rounds today, from Rancho Viejo to Laguna Atascosa to South
Padre Island and back, and here is what I saw, raptor-wise:

Harrris' Hawk: 17
Northern Harrrier: 4
Aplomado Falcon: 1
American Kestrel: 7
Red-tailed Hawk: 3
White-tailed Hawk: 3
Osprey: 3
Crested Caracara: 3
White-tailed Kite: 1

I also viewed the Flammulated Owl at South Padre Island, for the second time.
It was hidden deep within a tree, as before. I am afraid we are loving this
poor bird to death. It is under constant pressure during the day from all of
us, and it can't be getting the rest it needs. The Western Tanager gave good
looks.

Here' some photos, from yesterday and today, and a few from last weekend,
including an Aplomado Falcon (Laguna Atascosa), American Kestrel (Laguna
Atascosa)l, and Red-tailed Hawk (Hidalgo County):

:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

and a few more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/page2/