[texbirds] El Paso Zone-tailed Hawk

  • From: jgstudio@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:09:59 -0500 (EST)

Urban birding yesterday, I stopped at Ascarate Park to try to photograph a
Greater White-fronted Goose seen the day before. Could not re-locate the goose
but I noticed a hawk soaring over the golf course. It was almost certainly the
same immature ZTHA that I had photographed on 2 January. It would appear that
this bird is over-wintering here. I am fairly sure that this is unprecedented.
I did manage a distant photo and tried to chase this bird as it soared off to
the west. I have no idea where it roosts but it seems to like  the Ascarate
area.
Other birds of note included a Prairie Falcon, several Red-breasted Mergansers
in addition to the Common Mergansers, and the resident Red-crested Pochards
(feral but beautiful). A Green Heron at this season was a pleasant surprise.

John Groves
El Paso