[texbirds] Pollywog Pond, Robstown and Hilltop Community Center today

  • From: Peter Barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 19:22:48 -0500

Doug Ghrist and I tore ourselves away from Blucher Park for most of the day,
and spent an hour at Tule Lake and 3 hours at Pollywog Pond this morning. Tule
Lake had 5 White-rumped Sandpipers, 3 Wilson's Phalaropes and a smattering of
other shorebirds. Polywog Pond was quite birdy, and we had 72 species there,
but few passerine migrants. There were two female Greater Scaup and a Least
Grebe on the farthest pond, 6 Upland Sandpipers flew over low, and 60
Mississippi Kites kettled over. We had one flurry of half a dozen warblers,
including a male Golden-winged, together with five vireo species (Philadelphia,
Warbling, Blue-headed, Red-eyed and White-eyed).

In Robstown, we relocated five Buff-breasted Sandpipers reported last week on
ebird. They are on a sod farm, best viewed from Country Road 52, between Hwy 77
and Country Rd 69. You can park on a concrete pad off the road and look south
into the turf farm. The birds were quite distant (200-300 yards away), and we
had 5  Buff-breasted and 3 Pectoral Sandpipers. A scope and a good imagination
are essential.

At the Hilltop Community Center, we had a brief look at a female Bullock's
Oriole and saw four Scarlet Tanagers. A mixed kettle of 150 Broad-winged Hawks
and 30 Mississippi Kites flew over.

Good birding.

Peter Barnes
Tyler, currently in Corpus ChristiEdit your Freelists account settings for
TEXBIRDS at