[texbirds] High Island Hooks Woods Audubon's Oriole

  • From: "Garett Hodne" <garyhodne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Texbirds Posts'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 19:56:06 -0500

Hi Texbirders,
Started the day at Anahuac NWR and eventually found the Ruff (Reeve).

Then went to High Island. Boy Scout Woods was pretty slow but Winnie said
Hooks Woods had a lot of birds, so after an hour I went over there for the
first time for me.  Not great numbers of warblers but a reasonable number of
one of each species. But the real highlight was a singing adult Audubon's
Oriole. I did get some photos and another group of birders had photo'd it
earlier in the day and remarked to me that they heard it had been there a
couple days. It was along the southeast edge of the refuge favoring a big
Oak with a nice open understory. I'll post photos to Facebook when I can but
for now I have to get ready to go to Matagorda in the early morning.

Gary Hodne

The Woodlands.

www.GarettHodne.com <http://www.garetthodne.com/>