[texbirds] Re: POC update

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 11:21:23 -0500

Don't confuse the Yucatan "Vaux's" swifts (resident there and throughout
eastern Mexico and almost surely a separate species) with the migratory
population that breeds in the Pacific northwest. Due to identification
problems the exact wintering grounds of the latter are not well known. Yes,
it is possible that a Vaux's Swift (NW flavor) could occur in Texas as a
migrant but documenting it would be a matter of extreme luck and would
likely require a specimen. Various populations of Vaux's Swift are resident
from Mexico to central South America. Once someone tackles the whole
complex and works out their relationships to one another then maybe the
exact number of species involved  and what their ranges are precisely can
be resolved. Don't hold your breath. Swifts of almost all New World species
are extremely difficult to study.
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory