[texbirds] Mississippi Kite, Harris's Hawks, and Long-billed Dowitchers in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 09:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
This morning I saw a Mississippi Kite flying across Quaker Avenue - more or
less directly ahead of and above me - at about the level of 12th Street.  I saw
the bird well enough (dark undertail, grayish underparts, completely dark -
albeit two-toned - underwings, and no dark bar on the forewing) to completely
rule out White-tailed Kite.  This is a very early date for the species for our
region.

I also paused, on my way to work, to walk towards four dowitchers at Maxey
Park.  If what is written about call note in the field guides is correct, they
were all Long-billed Dowitchers which is a shame as we occasionally get the far
more exciting Short-billed Dowitchers early in the migratory season.

Lastly, there are enough adult plumage Harris's Hawks (4) floating about in the
vicinity of the intersection of 4th Street and Quaker Avenue to suspect at
least one additional nest beyond the quite obvious one in a tree just west of
the TTU HSC campus.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock