[texbirds] (Only) A few early migrants at L. Bardwell, Ellis County - Local interest

  • From: Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 20:17:37 -0500

Hello,
     I took a 4 mile walk along Waxahachie Creek into the deep woods on the
north side of Lake Bardwell today.  My primary goal was to spend time
searching for White-breasted Nuthatch and Pileated Woodpecker, both of
which have been reported in this general area at one time or another.  Both
of those birds are still not on my Ellis County list but I did find a
Common Nighthawk and Yellow Warbler. Hermit Thrushes were singing and
Lincoln's Sparrows were staging.  White-eyed Vireos, Ruby-crowned Kingliets
and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were making alot of noise.  With the heavy dew
it was a very wet and muddy walk in the tall grass as the trails here are
kept open primarily by wild pigs and coyotes. Other highlights were a
couple of lingering Red-breasted Nuthatches and Orange-crowned Warber. A
typical early spring mix, but still more winter birds than migrants
Lake Bardwell (Waxy creek and eqst. trail), Ellis, US-TX
Apr 1, 2013 7:18 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.28 mile(s)
42 species

Wood Duck 2
Great Blue Heron 7
Black Vulture 10
Turkey Vulture 35
Cooper's Hawk 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Mourning Dove 6
Barred Owl 1
Common Nighthawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 7
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 21
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 7
Carolina Chickadee 17
Tufted Titmouse 21
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 14
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 9
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 20
Hermit Thrush 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 14
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Field Sparrow 7
Song Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 12
Swamp Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 18
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 2
Northern Cardinal 46
Red-winged Blackbird 120
Common Grackle 10
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
American Goldfinch 5

The South Cooke Rd. entrance is still closed off for pig hunting, so you
have to enter from Getzendaner Rd.  Waxahachie Creek Park is open but not
staffed.  Water levels at Lake Bardwell are not low or high but somewhere
in between. Should be decent for shorebirding.

Waxahachie Creek Park & Bozek Ln., Ellis, US-TX
Apr 1, 2013 11:25 AM - 11:52 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
25 species (+1 other taxa)