[texbirds] Laredo birds

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 20:10:09 -0500

Hello Texas birders,
Migrants are definitely moving through/arriving here in Laredo. Here are a
few of the migrants I've seen lately at Lake Casa Blanca State Park:

Ash-throated Flycatcher (seen multiple times a few weeks ago)
Scissor-tailed Flycatchers
Bullock's Oriole today
Cliff Swallows
Lincoln's Sparrow
Black-necked Stilt (2) a few weeks ago at Ranchito Road ponds. The ponds
were still quite birdy last time I was there, with a fair amount of
species, but numbers of waterfowl individuals are down. Buffleheads appear
to have left, and there seem to be fewer Shovelers.
Couch's Kingbirds have been back for about a month.

According to my range maps, Osprey are only here in winter, but one was
still here at the Park today.  I'll keep an eye out to see if I keep seeing
him/her.

Olive Sparrows have been singing in various parts of the Park as well.

I also had a Chimney Swift flying overhead early this evening in town.

Good birding,

Holly Reinhard
Laredo, TX