[texbirds] Nice birds in e. Texas

  • From: Jack Windsor <greystrix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:47:49 -0800 (PST)

Dear all;  After dropping my grandson off at his school, I went to a small
lake/pond near his school.  Back in the early 90's, Carroll Moore told me about
this small lake to see hooded mergansers.
What a find , I saw a pair of hooded mergansers, a pair of wood ducks and a
lone black-crowned night-heron.  However, as I was watching the wood ducks I
saw a shadow of a large bird fly by.  I then watched this bird fly into a tree,
and lo and behold another joined the bird I was watching.

It's been several years (15+) that I've found a red-shouldered hawk nest.  They
did do a bit of prancing if I may use that word at the nest and a lot of
screeching.  The red-shouldered hawk is quit common here in e. Texas, but to
located and watch the "goings on" is nice to see.

Cheers,

Jack Windsor
Lufkin, TX