[texbirds] Black Phoebes confirmed nesting and adult Zone-tailed Hawk flying over Anzalduas County park today

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:27:42 -0600

Today I observed a Black Phoebe repeatedly gathering and carrying nesting
material to a suitable nest site at Anzalduas County Park.  This is a very
early nesting  even for deep So Texas according to Texas Breeding Bird
Altas and knowledgeable locals.   This Black Phoebe was associating with
another one that is it's apparent mate.  I also observed a 2 more Black
Phoebes at Anzalduas that were perching and foraging in close association
that are also apparently an active pair.  Later this afternoon I found a
third apparent active pair of Black Phoebes about a mile from Anzalduas.
This seems to indicate that there may be more Black Phoebes nesting soon or
even now (as I didn't have time to do the necessary observation of all 3
pairs to look for breeding behavior).  I am providing my information to Dr.
Tim Brush so he can follow up with this unusually early nesting.  I got a
photo of the Black Phoebe with a beakful of nesting material in it's bill
that I have posted onto my Birds and Nature blog.
While walking around an area of Anzalduas with a lot of trees a Zone-tailed
Hawk flew in quite low and I got a good though brief look including 2 of
the white tail bands.  Later another birder spotted a Zone-tailed Hawk
flying in over Anzalduas and 4 of us got views of it.  I got my first
photos of a Zone-tailed Hawk in flight that I have also posted onto my
Birds and Nature blog.

Five of us birders also observed a Royal Tern that was found before today
by another birder.  Apparently this is a rare species for the Rio Grande
Valley.   I will have a couple of photos of it up on my blog later tonight.

I failed to note about my earlier visit to Anzalduas this week several
species of interest to many and I saw them again today.   I believe they
are often found in this and other locations in the Rio Grande Valley.  They
are male Vermilion Flycatcher, White-tipped Doves, Great Kiskadee, Green
Jays, multiple House Finch (today 15).  Also today I saw Nashville Warbler,
one Pine Siskin (with at least 25 Am Goldfich) and 3 Savannah Sparrows in a
tree(bad year for sparrows).

For those who are not familiar with Anzalduas County Park, it is free on
week-days and costs $5 a day on week-ends.  Note that week-ends tend to be
crowded with those having picnics, etc.

SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder staying in Pharr
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @