[texbirds] New Count Circle App

  • From: Janet Rathjen <j.rathjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 19:23:32 -0800 (PST)

Hey All,

For all of you doing the Texas Local Patch Challenge and have a smart phone...

I got an email a few days ago about a new app by the makers of Birder's Diary
called "Count Circle."  With it you can look up any count circle and it will
draw the circle on a map using the count center on file with Audubon.  It also
will allow you to set your own center and will draw the circle for you.  I set
the center on my house and it drew the 7.5 mile radius circle on the map.  It
show a blue dot were you are on the map, just like other map apps so you can
see
where you are located within (or outside) the circle.  It is a great help in
finding out exactly where you are in relation to the edge of the circle,
especially when you are hiking back into fields or trails.  Now you will know
if
you are still in the circle.  It just costs $2.99 and you can find it at the
app
store by searching for "count circle."  It was the first app on a list of three
for the iPhone.

Janet Rathjen
Houston, TX