[texbirds] Neoteny in Little Blue Heron

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 22:57:44 -0400 (EDT)

A few days ago I posted pictures of an odd looking Little Blue Heron from
Lafitte's Cove still in juvenile white plumage but showing adult traits such
as  the tassel on the head. I did a little asking around and was told this
was a  rare thing called "Neoteny". Below is off of Google

Neoteny is the retention, by adults in a species, of traits previously seen
 only in juveniles (pedomorphosis/paedomorphosis), and is a subject studied
in  the field of developmental biology.

Ultimately this process results in the retention, in the adults of a
species,  of juvenile physical characteristics well into maturity.
Link here to three pictures of the Little Blue Heron
http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQ
B#!i=2474050138&k=w7sHKtw
David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area