[texbirds] Nemesis Bird @ Pollywog Ponds

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:31:24 -0400

Hi all -
We all have had one - all your friends see it, and you constantly miss it.  It
does not have to be a rarity, or a lifer, or even a Year Bird, but after a
while you begin to wonder if you are cursed to miss it forever.

I have always tried to help people finally see their "nemesis bird(s)", and
sometimes it is more gratifying to be the show-er than the show-ee.   A few
years ago in late June, friends from Oregon visited South TX, and for all her
life birds (over 3500 worldwide), Jeanine had constantly missed seeing both
King Rail and Clapper Rail.    I got them both for her before noon.   She was
so happy she could barely speak.

So, my own personal Nemesis has been lurking around Pollywog Ponds in Corpus
Christi all winter - a Downy Woodpecker.   The Craiglows would see it, Dane
Ferrell would see it, Jon McIntyre would see it, and every time I went there, I
would see scads of Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, but NO Downy.   Arrgghhh...

So, I finally had success today - got the little bugger in the dead trees in
East Pond.   I could scarcely believe it.  I even rattled off a dozen
digiscoped pictures (like I don't have HUNDREDS of Downy Woodpecker photos from
New England?) just for good measure.  Woo hoo!

Pollywog Ponds itself was pretty good - it was the Day of the Northern Parula,
as they were everywhere.   I managed to miss seeing Nashville and Blue-winged
Warblers, but had great looks at Yellow-throated.   All told, there were 10
species of warblers seen.   There were both Orchard and Baltimore Orioles
(males) in the treetops, still lots of both goldfinches and a smattering of
Pine Siskins along with Cedar Waxwings, all feeding in the new leaf growth.
The Eastern Kingbirds and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers are gobbling down
mulberries, fighting through the defensive wall of mockingbirds.

There are definitely TWO American Bitterns there, as they will flush up from
the sides of the path well before you ever get to see them.   Least Grebes have
done a disappearing act, as they have become hard to find.   A common Gallinule
is usually found in the Middle Pond near the coots.

Come on Cold Front!

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi), TX