[texbirds] Re: Meadowlark ID in the RGV

  • From: Keith Arnold <kbarnold2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:33:16 -0600

Brush has pointed out the problem with "Lillian's" Meadowlark - it may well
be considered as a separate species in the future. In my 32 years as editor
of the Texas CBCs, since both species can occur in most parts of the state
in winter, I insisted that any meadowlark not ID'd by vocalizations should
be listed as "meadowlark sp." That didn't go well in my early editing
years, but I am pleased to note that more-and-more Texas CBCs followed that
instruction.
Keith Arnold
TAMU/Bryan