[texbirds] Lake Travis & Granger Lake

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:28:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

With all the reports of longspurs reasonably close to home I decided to
spend vacation in the area immediately north and east of Austin, including
Lake  Travis, Granger Lake, the "longspur roads" near Elgin and Sayersville,
and  Bastrop State Park.  Arrived in Cedar Park yesterday (experiencing my
first  "Parking Lot" since leaving San Diego was a trip), and poked around Lake
Travis  this morning, hoping to at least hear some of the more "western"
birds reported  there.  The Rock Wren was still at the boat ramp at Sandy
Creek Park, but  managed to get the Spotted Towhee at Cypress Creek Park
(dipped
on the reported  Scrub Jay).  Windy Point park was by far the best (and
probably why they  have it on the Wildlife Viewing Map), where the Canyon Wrens
along the trail  were very cute and cooperative, and a Song Sparrow barked
from the nearby  vegetation.  At the boat ramp I scared off a Merlin and a
Harrier, and at  the lake overlook had three Common Loons being harassed by a
group of  Ring-billed Gulls while an Osprey sailed by below eye level!
Totally  dipped on Rufous-crowned Sparrow, but a Common Raven sailing over the
road was  nice, and Carolina Chickadees at several places were a nice
addition.   There were tons of White-winged Doves flying past early on as I
stopped  periodically along Lime Creek Road.

Scouted out Granger Lake after that, and while I didn't see any Whooping
Cranes at Sore Finger I DID see several duck hunters hunkered down with their
 decoys!  This was more of a scouting trip as I wanted to figure out a
route  where I could get out and listen occasionally tomorrow morning (the
habitat  looked wonderful for sparrows, but it was really too cold and windy to
try and  pish anything up), but the various parks were great:  had Vesper
Sparrows  jump up along one road, Western Meadowlarks were out the yin yang,
and a mob of  Snipe fed right next to the road!  Picked up a Red-bellied
Woodpecker on  one road, and I looked through a huge flock of blackbirds for a
Rusty, but then  read later that they prefer more wooded, boggy areas.

Photos are posted here:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Lake%20Travis.html_
(http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Lake%20Travis.html)

Bird List (the six additional species were picked up on the way, like
White-tailed Hawk and Golden-fronted Woodpecker...):

Common Loon                           Gavia immer
Double-crested Cormorant              Phalacrocorax auritus
American White Pelican                Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
Great Blue Heron                      Ardea herodias
Black Vulture                         Coragyps atratus
Turkey Vulture                        Cathartes  aura
Osprey                                Pandion haliaetus
Northern Harrier                      Circus cyaneus
Red-tailed Hawk                       Buteo jamaicensis
American Coot                         Fulica americana
Killdeer                              Charadrius vociferus
Wilson's Snipe                        Gallinago delicata
Ring-billed Gull                      Larus delawarensis
Forster's Tern                        Sterna forsteri
White-winged Dove                     Zenaida asiatica
Eurasian Collared  Dove
Mourning Dove                         Zenaida macroura
Red-bellied Woodpecker                Melanerpes carolinus
Ladder-backed Woodpecker              Picoides scalaris
Crested  caracara
American Kestrel                      Falco sparverius
Merlin                                Falco columbarius
Eastern Phoebe                        Sayornis phoebe
Loggerhead Shrike                     Lanius ludovicianus
American Crow                         Corvus brachyrhynchos
Common Raven                          Corvus corax
Carolina Chickadee                    Poecile carolinensis
Black-crested Titmouse                Baeolophus atricristatus
Rock Wren                             Salpinctes  obsoletus
Canyon Wren                           Catherpes mexicanus
Carolina Wren                         Thryothorus ludovicianus
Bewick's Wren                         Thryomanes bewickii
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                  Regulus calendula
Hermit Thrush                         Catharus guttatus
American Robin                        Turdus migratorius
Northern Mockingbird                  Mimus polyglottos
American Pipit                        Anthus  rubescens
Yellow-rumped Warbler                 Setophaga coronata
Spotted Towhee                        Pipilo maculatus
Vesper Sparrow                        Pooecetes gramineus
Savannah Sparrow                      Passerculus sandwichensis
Song Sparrow                          Melospiza melodia
Northern Cardinal                     Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird                  Agelaius phoeniceus
Western Meadowlark                    Sturnella neglecta
Brewer's Blackbird                    Euphagus cyanocephalus
Brown-headed Cowbird                  Molothrus ater
House Finch                           Haemorhous mexicanus
Lesser Goldfinch                      Spinus psaltria
American Goldfinch                    Spinus tristis
House Sparrow                         Passer domesticus
51  SPECIES
So  far:  57 SPECIES
Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX