[texbirds] Laguna Gloria and Hornsby Bend -- Friday 4th

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 21:41:31 -0600

I first stopped at Laguna Gloria, where it was cold but lightly sprinkling. A
beautiful male Bufflehead on the laguna was nice. Yellow-rumped Warblers were
very active. On my way out, I flushed a Sharp-shinned Hawk in the reeds of
the peninsula and the Osprey flew over. Finally, a flock of Cedar Waxwings
capped off the cold.
Next, I drove the Hornsby Bend, where it was lightly raining. A
Red-shouldered Hawk was waiting on telephone wires outside the entrance,
and a Red-tailed Hawk perched next a Northern Harrier on the telephone
poles flanking the paved road that separates through Ponds 2 and 3. Lots of
Northern Shovelers were near the shore, with Ruddy Ducks further out and
less closely clustered. Managed to find one Wilson's Snipe with the only
Green-winged Teals and Least Sandpipers of the day on the west most edge.
Eared Grebes were easy to find on the east side of Pond 1, by the grassy
area with Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and
Savannah Sparrows. All I could find on the day were flocks of Red-winged
Blackbirds, but I was content to bird from my car.

Importantly, maybe .25 inches of rain here!

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX