[texbirds] Kayaking Red Bud, Broad-winged Hawk, Nature's Bounty

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:47:22 -0500

Separate items:
I first heard the whistle yesterday, again this morning. I'm fairly sure
it's a Broad-wing. Best estimate is the dense trees south of Greystone,
near it's end.

HY Mockingbirds and Cardinals enjoying persimmons and figs in my backyard,
plenty of wild nectar for Black-chinned Hummingbirds. Maybe only one male
around. I haven't heard Bewick's Wren (moves around) or Gnatcatchers in a
few weeks. Purple Martins around some evenings and even passing through
mid-day.

Yesterday (Friday), I went from the Mopac bridge and looped west, around
Red Bud. Biggest surprise was no Eastern Phoebes. A couple Black Vultures
were perched near the water, close to their nest cave. Green Herons (with
attitude), Great Blue Herons (showing off rufous thighs), and
Yellow-crowned Night-herons (one scratching its head) along the banks. Few
swallows and Canyon Wrens, one Red-eyed Vireo (singing) and Belted
Kingfisher. One mother leading two Wood Ducks, two pairs of Mute Swans at
opposite ends.

Elliott Gordon
AF5HH
NW Austin