[texbirds] Isle du Bois - Red Crossbills, Horned Grebes

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:02:10 -0600

Hello,
I finally made it up to find these crossbills.  Found them literally within 2
minutes of walking down the Lost Pines Trail leading from the HQ.  Great looks.
 Best found by listening for the crunching of pine cones, which was
surprisingly quite audible.  Also found some Horned Grebes, and had good looks
at the tons of Red-breasted Nuthatches, as well as some sparrows.  Apparently
we just missed a Peregrine Falcon harassing the coots.

Good birding.

Christian Walker
University of Dallas
Irving, TX