[texbirds] Hornsby Bend - American Redstart, shorebirds on the move

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 21:17:53 -0500

Today (13 July 2013) was the Hornsby Bend monthly survey and only two
folks show up in the morning, while one hardy soul joined me to brave
a couple hours in the 101 to 103 degree temperatures this afternoon.
Still, for a hot mid-July day, it was an above average showing as
there were some highlights to the 71 species we ran across.  A good
start to the morning was a Pileated Woodpecker by the old Platt house
on Platt Lane, a bird that is unpredictable and hard to get on the
property.  The highlight of the day soon followed when we ran across a
female American Redstart near Platt Pond.  The bird was a bit worn and
looked to be molting quite a bit - perhaps a non-breeding lost bird or
a post-breeding bird from somewhere close to central Texas.

Shorebirds were fairly good for mid July with 9 species represented on
Pond 1W and Pond 3.  A noticeable up-tick in the numbers of Least
Sandpipers (~130 or so) and the swell of Killdeers remains high (~81)
with some obvious migrants (all looked to be worn/adults) mixed in
including ~12 Western Sandpipers, 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 2 Stilt
Sandpipers, 5-6 Solitary Sandpipers and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs.

More info on Hornsby Bend can be found at:

     http://www.hornsbybend.org

--
Eric Carpenter
Austin