[texbirds] Hornsby Bend - 18 species of shorebirds including Ruddy Turnstones and continuing RN Phalarope

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 11:33:39 -0500

Hoping the overnight shift to north winds would drop some goodies on
the ponds at Hornsby Bend (Travis County), my dad, brother and I spent
a few hours there this morning and were not disappointed.  The
water-levels are just too high to amass huge numbers, but the variety
was good and we were able to detect 18 species of shorebirds.  Besides
the continuing Red-necked Phalarope (present since Sunday), other
highlights included 3 Sanderlings that circled a bit but never landed
and a nice alternate-plumaged Dunlin in the nw. corner of Pond 1West.
We flushed up a Ruddy Turnstone on the dike road between Pond 1West
and 1East pretty early on and then, after a quick check of some of the
woods, we came back and found SIX (!) turnstones flying about and
vocalizing near the nw. corner of Pond 1West.

Non-shorebird highlights for us were likely a first-cycle Ring-billed
Gull joining a couple Franklin's Gulls and a couple dozen Black Terns,
and on our return visit, 6 Forster's Terns that appeared out of
nowhere.  We didn't spend a lot of time in the woods but they did seem
a little slow compared to the ponds, and we tallied about 6 warblers
in less than a half-hours time.

--
Eric Carpenter
Austin