[texbirds] Highlights from the Floydada BBS - Saturday

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I took one last stab at the Floydada BBS - after two earlier attempts had
failed due to the Curse of CR 200 (a dirt road that seems to have been targeted
by heavy storms more often than expected by chance) - on Saturday, 29 June
2013.  I had to bail at stop 36 when, what do you know, a heavy thunderstorm
dropped in from the north and made the last fourteen stops unavailable due to
flooding of CR 232.  This is the first year, I believe, that I have not been
able to finish all six of my routes: even in previous wet years at least one
weekend has given me a shot at getting this route done.  This year - yet
another drought year - featured one well-targeted storm after another and
repeatedly made both dirt roads potential quagmires.

A single highlight on the way: 1 Common Poorwill at the White River crossing of
Highway 207.

Along the route there were a few highlights as well: 4 Black-necked Stilts and
3 American Avocets near Rushing Chapel; 2 Eastern Phoebes at a homestead near
the intersection of CR 200 and FM 28; 2 Common Ravens crossing FM 28 just north
of CR 232.

A Floyd County highlight on the way back: 1 Rock Wren at the White River
crossing of Highway 207.

Crosby County highlights on the way back: 2 Black-necked Stilts and 1 Lesser
Yellowlegs near Cone; 12 Cattle Egrets near Ralls.

Lubbock County highlights on the way back: 6 Black-necked Stilts and 5 American
Avocets just east of Idalour; 2 Purple Martins over Kitalou.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock