[texbirds] High Island Update 21 April

  • From: Richard Gibbons <rgibbo3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 22:51:29 -0500

Scout Woods was not as rich as yesterday but still we got great views of
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, and PROTHONOTARY WARBLER early on the walk. PAINTED
and INDIGO BUNTINGS were seen as well. Probably the surprise of the walk
was a VEERY which did not cooperate too much but still a few people got to
see it. SWAINSON’S THRUSHES are everywhere now.
 The shorebird walk took place at Anahuac Reserve, again with just a few
birds in the flooded fields on Skillern Tract. We walked quite a distance
in a narrow trail after the Ruff which turned up elusive for us even after
waiting over 20 minutes in the spot some people before us had seen it. We
did see BLACK-BELLIED WHISTELING DUCKS, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS and a few others. We moved inside the main area where we got
plenty of females and males of WILSON’S PHALAROPE, STILT SANDPIPERS, a few
DICKSISELS on the wires while driving in, BAIRD’S and WHITE-RUMPED
SANDPIPERS. We saw some FULVOUS WHISTELING-DUCKS in the distance together
with pintails and shovelers. A BOBOLINK was spotted in the area but only
the guides saw it.

 The walk through Smith Oaks in the afternoon was good, It can never be bad
when you have CERULEAN WARBLERS on the paths. Another good surprise was a
nice BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO which was happily photographed. The regulars of
the past days are still bringing color to the forest, SUMMER and SCARLET
TANAGERS, ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK, INDIGO BUNTINGS and other picturesque
species added diversity to the tour together with some vireos and a few
other regular warblers of the season.

 Andres Vasquez

Currently in High Island, TX