[texbirds] Gray Kingbird (not Thick-billed) in Palacios!!

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ruth <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 21:42:38 -0500

Bob & Ruth Friedrichs were kind enough to forward a couple photos to
me.  They are mostly from below and the light is not ideal but I think
the bird in their photos is a Gray Kingbird!  Gray Kingbirds have
somewhat thick bills and this bird in their photos has that plus a
clear white breast and underparts.  It is hard for me to tell the
exact color of the upperparts but they look grayish (not brownish) and
there are signs of a darker mask.  All this would seem to favor Gray
Kingbird, which is still an incredibly great find for the Texas coast.
 I hope folks are able to follow up.

-- Eric

Eric Carpenter
Austin