[texbirds] Granger Lake

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:21:59 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

First, a big THANKS to Sam Fason for posting the results of HIS trip to
Granger and environs yesterday:  thanks to his post I redid my whole
itinerary for the day, and probably would have missed out on some terrific
birds!

So instead of starting around the San Gabriel area, I went straight back to
 Sore Finger in hopes of catching the Whooping Cranes take off for their
feeding  grounds, or maybe a Short-eared Owl hunting the grasslands.  Got a
Harrier  instead, and gave the Whoopers until eight to show up (which they
didn't), so  decided to explore CR 352 to the north, where Sam said they had
them after they  had flown.  Sure enough, I first heard, then saw the family
of three  drifting down to the west way out there, and then they were gone
from  sight!  Had I arrived just a few minutes later I would have missed them
completely!

Wanting to see if I could get over that direction, I continued on 352 and
turned left on CR 351, which zigged and zagged all over the place.  I hit
the jackpot at one little creek crossing, however, and had sparrows  galore:
mostly Whitecrowns, but also several Harris', which I was thrilled  to see!
 A single Field Sparrow also popped up.  I found CR 350 and  took that
south, and that turned into 353 at a ranch; after curving around the  cows I
couldn't believe my eyes--there was the Whooper family, almost right next  to
the road!  The youngster was even close enough to make out the markings  on
his leg bands!  Comedy relief was provided by the herd of cows that all
gathered at the fence to see what I was up to, then running after me when I
stopped down the road for something else!

Everything was gravy after that; I did go down CR 357 to try and find Sam's
 Burrowing Owl, but no luck.  Next stop was Friendship Park where I failed
to kick up a LeConte's Sparrow (habitat looked great, though), but a
hooting  Great Horned Owl was a surprise!  In the park proper was able to pick
up
a  drumming/laughing Downy Woodpecker for the trip (a lot of these
widespread  eastern things are exciting to us Valley folks) and a singing
Eastern
Bluebird  on the way out!  I wanted to check out that grassland behind the dam
as  well, but just managed to find Savannah Sparrows (and the wind was still
howling  today as well, so all my birding was done from the car today...).

Back up on the dam I dipped on the reported Bald Eagle, so decided to head
straight to Willis Creek Park, where the Snipes had been the day before.
The only one I saw today was one a worker happened to flush, but lots of
Killdeer were about, and turning the corner to the day use area was another
Sparrow Bonanza:  in addition to the Whiteys was able to add Lincoln's,
Song, and a brilliant White-throated Sparrow!  Down at the shelter the wind
had
died down considerably (or else it was just literally sheltered in there),
so I strolled around the woodland edges and had more goodies, including the
 first Orange-crowned Warbler of the trip, and was surprised to find a
TUFTED  Titmouse (according to the map in the TOS book I assumed just
Black-crested  showed up here)!  Sparrows were everywhere, and I was
particularly
looking  for Sam's Fox Sparrow; in the cacophony of Whitecrowns was a song I
admit  stumped me--thankfully I got a decent recording which is one the website
(link  below), so feedback is welcome!  On the way out that Still Small
Voice  encouraged me to check that sparrow flock at the start of the Day Use
road  again, and bingo!  Up popped the Fox Sparrow!  Lovely bird!

Sam mentioned a Macedonia Cemetery, but the only cemetery I saw up along CR
 348 had every name BUT that, it seemed, so I crawled through looking for a
 Red-headed Woodpecker, but nada.  Headed straight to the back roads of
Elgin after that just to scout the roads and figure out a route; never saw
nary  a suspicious longspur flock, but did have a couple of pale Redtails (one
was  probably a Krider's as the tail was very whitish with a salmon wash to
the  tip).  On the way back to Taylor I passed a blackbird flock in the
woods,  so I swung around to check it out, and it turned out to be mostly
Common
 Grackles, their glossy blue heads contrasting nicely with their bronzy
bodies!

Link to the pictures and recordings is here:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Granger%20Lake.html_

(http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Granger%20Lake.html)

Bird List (new birds for the trip in CAPS):

GADWALL                                 Anas strepera
Great Blue  Heron
GREAT EGRET                             Ardea alba
Black Vulture                         Coragyps atratus
Turkey Vulture                        Cathartes aura
Northern Harrier                      Circus cyaneus
Red-tailed Hawk                       Buteo jamaicensis
WHOOPING CRANE                          Grus americana
Killdeer                              Charadrius vociferus
GREATER YELLOWLEGS                      Tringa melanoleuca
Wilson's Snipe                        Gallinago delicata
Rock Pigeon                           Columba livia
White-winged Dove                     Zenaida asiatica
Mourning Dove                         Zenaida macroura
GREAT HORNED OWL                        Bubo virginianus
Red-bellied Woodpecker                Melanerpes carolinus
DOWNY WOODPECKER                        Picoides pubescens
American Kestrel                      Falco sparverius
Merlin                                Falco columbarius
Eastern Phoebe                        Sayornis phoebe
Loggerhead Shrike                     Lanius ludovicianus
American Crow                         Corvus  brachyrhynchos
Carolina Chickadee                    Poecile carolinensis
TUFTED TITMOUSE                         Baeolophus bicolor
Carolina Wren                         Thryothorus ludovicianus
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                  Regulus calendula
EASTERN BLUEBIRD                        Sialia sialis
Hermit Thrush                         Catharus guttatus
Northern Mockingbird                  Mimus polyglottos
European Starling                     Sturnus vulgaris
American Pipit                        Anthus  rubescens
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER                  Oreothlypis celata
Yellow-rumped Warbler                 Setophaga coronata
FIELD SPARROW                           Spizella pusilla
Vesper Sparrow                        Pooecetes gramineus
Savannah Sparrow                      Passerculus  sandwichensis
FOX SPARROW                             Passerella iliaca
Song Sparrow                          Melospiza melodia
LINCOLN’S SPARROW                       Melospiza lincolnii
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW                  Zonotrichia albicollis
HARRIS’ SPARROW                         Zonotrichia querula
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW             Zonotrichia leucophrys
Northern Cardinal                     Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird                  Agelaius phoeniceus
EASTERN MEADOWLARK                      Sturnella magna
Western Meadowlark                    Sturnella neglecta
Brewer's Blackbird                    Euphagus cyanocephalus
COMMON GRACKLE                          Quiscalus quiscula
Great-tailed Grackle                  Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed Cowbird                  Molothrus ater
American Goldfinch                    Spinus tristis
House Sparrow                         Passer domesticus
52  SPECIES
So far:  74 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX