[texbirds] Good day in inland Houston

  • From: Justin Bower <justinbower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 17:31:21 -0500

I made very brief stops by Edith L Moore NS, Russ Pittman Park, and the
Eldridge Rd. Stormwater facility, and there were a good number of migrants
hunkering down.
ELMNS had 11 or so species reported, of which I saw about 5. Magnolias and
Redstarts were practically swarming the place. One lone little ovenbird
bopped his way through the underbrush. There seemed to be a lack of
orioles/tanagers/etc.

Russ Pittman had a nice flock(s) of warblers moving around when I got there
in the early afternoon, with Bay-breasted/Blackpoll reported (not seen by
me)  and Magnolia/Redstart/Black-throated Green/Chestnut-sided/and
Blackburnian encountered in a short stroll around.

Eldridge Road had its usual mix of waders and raptors, with
Swainsons/Broad-winged/Caracara/etc., and a mix of peeps near its highway 6
end.

After being side-lined for most of migration, it was nice to make at least
a few stops and get a small taste of the season.

Justin Bower
Houston