[texbirds] Fw: [TX-ORNITHOLOGY] Flycatcher fotos for the third time

  • From: "Arlie Cooksey" <cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TX-ORNITHOLOGY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:07:56 -0500

Brush,
This sure appears to be an Acadian. I cannot turn it into a pewee,
regardless how hard I try. Trying to determine eyering structure on
an empid in bright light is tricky, if not impossible. I think that is
what is happening here; ACFL has such a thin eyering that it can
be missed in bright light. Also, I like to see a white notch under the
cheek on pewees, extending back almost to the nape, faint but
usually present.

The lower mandible looks completely or almost completely yellow,
and it seems to be rather deep in structure, where I would expect
pewees to have a bit shallower bill. Also, this bird just looks green
to me, not the cold brown/gray tones of pewees.

Mel Cooksey
Corpus Christi

Here it is again since several have asked...And the last time I promise.   I
now lean to Pewee but there are some potent voices out there that lean hard on
Acadian...I am not including any names so those will be only be made available
should the commentators decide to respond to all:

https://plus.google.com/photos/104451252411753205600/albums/5868782169900071457?authkey=CLCG7dqBqdOrlAE

--
Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell