[texbirds] Fox Sparrow and Virginia Rail 12/29/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:35:56 -0500 (EST)

It was such a beautiful day Jan and I ran up to Cedar Hill Park on Lake
Charlotte in the Wallisville Project. Not long before completing the loop
through the old pines we came across a small mixed flock of Sparrows that was
compiled of 1 White-crowned, 2 White-throated and a very pretty Fox Sparrow.
 Unfortunately the bird did not cooperate and let me get a picture. I did
get 3  looks at it but all were through some vegetation. GPS Coordinates
where the bird  was are below. We always walk the trail from the Kayak/Canoe
ramp area parking  lot and the bird was not real far from the other end of the
trail where it comes  out into the clearing where the ball field and
restrooms are. Most everything  else was what should be there but we saw NO
Red-bellied Woodpeckers on the walk.

GPS Coordinates N29 52' 30.0"    W094 42' 44.3" to Fox  Sparrow

On the way home we went by Hugo Point boat ramp and walked out towards the
viewing platform and found 2 Virginia Rails that Ron Weeks found on the
27th at  the tail end of the Old River CBC.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers County
Galveston Bay Area  Master Naturalist