[texbirds] Re: Follet's Island shorebird survey - LBBG age

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:42:36 -0400 (EDT)

Copy of posted eBird LBBG description: “one adult seen with a few Laughing
Gulls, mantle medium gray, yellow legs, yellow bill with orange gonydeal
spot,  larger than Laughing Gulls, no other gulls present to compare”

I am not questioning correct aging of observed LBBG age but there is note
of caution for observers: By July, most 3cy LBBG show very slow continuation
in  their molt. Some replace mantle feathers, scapulars and coverts. Most
have adult  like bare parts and under-parts. At that time 3cy gull is in real
life two years  old. Of course 4cy (also sub adult - three years old) aging
can be even more  challenging, even for experienced person. Perhaps more
detailed studies of gull  flight feathers could in any case greatly improve
chance for correct  aging.

Here is maybe a good time to insert MHO about photos and observations,
subject not related to LBBG from above. There are some people suggesting that
only observing birds can yield mastering bird ID skills. Other only
photograph  and study those on computer screen later. Personally I think that
like
with  everything else using both approaches together can yield best results.
Sure  there are people who have problems to take good photos/do not have
right  equipment, sure some cannot ID birds for example by calls (me as a best
example  - if I ever decide to observe birds best IDed by calls I will buy
very good  sound recorder), etc. Bottom line is that there is not much sense
in trying to  dwell on which method is ‘better’ but adopting and applying
all possible methods  can only help and will never hurt.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

In a message dated 7/17/2013 9:38:08 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
sheath@xxxxxxxx writes:
TexBirders,

Our shorebird survey on Follet's Island  yesterday turned up our first
Piping Plover of "fall" and a Lesser  Black-backed Gull. Also very high numbers
of Willets and a few Semipalmated  Sandpipers. Sanderlings and Ruddy
Turnstones are beginning to return as well.  The complete list from e-bird is
below.

Sue

Susan A. Heath,  PhD
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory