[texbirds] Re: Follet's Island shorebird survey

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jarvin@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:56:25 -0500

I have spent a lot of time driving beaches from high island to brazosmouth,
walking bolivar and east beach and also the texas city dike this summer.
I have missed all non-laughing gulls on almost all trips so my experience
would say that there are none around.

The exceptions were a single adulating lesser black-backed at Rollover Pass
a week ago. Before that and in the early summer, there were 2 herring gulls
on the texas city dike that were candidates for the mangiest gull of the
summer; but I never found them again. The LBBG from a week ago had flight
feathers in very bad shape but was growing all new mantle feathers.

At least on my experience, almost all the larger gulls left this year. Or
perhaps due to the larger number of people on the beach this year.
Especially on Bolivar there are more people around even in mid-morning than
in any prior year which makes it hard for birds to sit. I have not checked
any inland sites but places like Roger's Pond at Brazoria are bone dry and
have been dry. Birds are going to the mountain but in limited numbers and
almost all have been non-breeding laughing gulls without black heads.

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM, John Arvin <jarvin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's curious that a summering gull is more likely to be a "rare" Lesser
> Black-back than a Herring or Ring-billed Gull.
> jca
> John C. Arvin

Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston