[texbirds] Fish Crow in Van Zandt county and Tree Swallow in Henderson county today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Richard Kinney <rdkrsh@xxxxxxx>, Dale Ohl <lsdolls@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 12:53:53 -0500

I birded the southeast portion of Van Zandt county from 6-8 am today. On FM
729, near a creek at the Smith county line, I saw two Fish Crows, giving
nasal caws that were distinct from those of American Crows in the area. The
birds were not begging and acted like a pair, flying around and perching
together. They did not give the diagnostic uh-uh Fish Crow call. They were
a hair smaller and flew with more rapid wingbeats than a typical American
Crow. These features are tough to call, but the persistent vocalizations
were distinctive. We have had a few reports of Fish Crows in adjoining
Smith county in the past two years, but I am not aware of any for Van Zandt
county.
Other birds of interest in the area were 2 Yellow-throated Warblers, 1
Yellow-throated Vireo and 3 Acadian Flycatchers. On CR 4823, there was a
singing Wood Thrush.

In Henderson County, on FM 315, where it crosses Lake Palestine, I had a
single Tree Swallow flying over the lake. There are certainly enough dead
trees there to make nesting a possibility.

Peter Barnes
Tyler