[texbirds] FOY Rusty Blackbird @ Bear Creek Park, Houston

  • From: sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 21:27:29 +0000 (UTC)

At last, a Rusty Blackbird!
Just in time for the upcoming TOS meeting, I found a single female Rusty
Blackbird near the usual Rusty haunt at Bear Creek Park in west Houston.

How did I know she was single? She wasn't wearing a ring!!!!

The location is just north of the stand of trees where Rusties usually show
themselves each winter - near the intersection of Golbow and Fox Ln., east of
Bear Creek Drive. The bird was on the edge of standing water north of the
flooded timber area.

Google Maps coordinates for the spot: 29.827954,-95.631401

At the time of the sighting, there were three black birds along the water's
edge - a starling, a Brown-headed Cowbird (male, marital status unknown), and
the female Rusty. With the wet weather and an imminent drop in temperature, I'm
hoping that more Rusties will show up at their old stompin' grounds.

Steve Gross
NW Houston