[texbirds] - Estero Llano Grande SP WBC (LTC 054), Dec 6, 2014

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "imhuck3@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 17:54:36 -0500

 Howdy Texbirders

Howdy Texbirders,
 A beautiful day at Estero and a great bird walk with about 10 participants. So
many good looks at some great birds. Had 3 Groove-billed Ani that hopefully
will hang in for the winter like they did several years ago. I think I forgot
to put them into my ebird report found below so will go back and add them in.
We do our walks on Wed.,,  Sat. and Sunday mornings and would love for you to
join us. The phrase, "come one, come all," would make me super happy,
so-----------

Bird for your health,
Forget your worries,
You'll be happier.

 Huck Hutchens,
 Park Host, Estero Llano Grande SP
 Weslaco, Texas

Estero Llano Grande SP WBC (LTC 054), Hidalgo, US-TX
Dec 6, 2014 8:00 AM - 1:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
84 species (+1 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  24
Greater White-fronted Goose  4
Gadwall  14
American Wigeon  2
Blue-winged Teal  30
Cinnamon Teal  2
Blue-winged x Cinnamon Teal (hybrid)  1
Northern Shoveler  35
Northern Pintail  10
Green-winged Teal  18
Canvasback  1
Redhead  1
Ring-necked Duck  3
Ruddy Duck  6
Least Grebe  2
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Neotropic Cormorant  1
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Anhinga  1
American White Pelican  10
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret  9
Little Blue Heron  2
Tricolored Heron  2
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  4
White Ibis  1
Roseate Spoonbill  2
Turkey Vulture  6
White-tailed Kite  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Sora  3
Common Gallinule  8
American Coot  75
Black-necked Stilt  40
American Avocet  16
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Stilt Sandpiper  15
Wilson's Snipe  8
Caspian Tern  2
Inca Dove  4
Common Ground-Dove  6
Mourning Dove  9
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Common Pauraque  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Rufous Hummingbird  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  4
Ringed Kingfisher  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Green Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  15
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2
American Kestrel  1
Peregrine Falcon  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Kiskadee  8
Tropical Kingbird  1
Couch's Kingbird  2
White-eyed Vireo  1
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Green Jay  4
Tree Swallow  1
Cave Swallow  1
Black-crested Titmouse  5
House Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Curve-billed Thrasher  1
Long-billed Thrasher  3
Northern Mockingbird  18
European Starling  8
Orange-crowned Warbler  2
Nashville Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  1
Lincoln's Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Great-tailed Grackle  35
Orchard Oriole  1     Very odd looking oriole, color suggested Hooded but no
real noticeable white wing bars, smeared black at base of black bib. Calling it
an Orchard because of previous discussions on it.
Lesser Goldfinch  1
House Sparrow  50

View this checklist online at